Monday, September 13, 2010

Can the dead be happy/unhappy?

I find it a bit surprising that we didn't touch on this in class and that anyone has yet to mention it. In Book One (page 16), Chapter 10, line 13 it says, "...is anyone happy once he is dead?" and then it goes on to discuss this. Then around line 30, the text reads, "it would become abrusd if the one who is dead were to change along with them [descendants], and become at one time happy but then miserable again; but it would also be abrusd as well if the fortunes of the descendants did not pertain at all to their ancestors over some length of time."

The reason I keep thinking of this is for many reasons. It is understood that once a person his dead, his or her soul is still 'living' and thriving. So, when it speaks of happiness, it refers to ones soul being happy. But, if happiness is being at work in accordance with complete virtue then this means the soul would have to be at work. However, how could the soul be at work if the means in which the soul uses to do work (the body) is no longer living? If a soul is happy in a persons body, what would happen if it becomes unhappy after the person ceases to live? How would it know? I guess this raises a jumble of questions that are near impossible to answer, for a lot of it is dealt with mortality and what not. However, Aristotle raises a good point in which he argues that it would be absurd for the soul to change from happy to miserable, but it would be just as absurd if it did not change at all in relation to ancestors and descendants. Perhaps this is nothing more than a catch 22.

3 comments:

  1. I only speak for myself, but I don't know what it means for a soul to change in relation to its ancestors and descendants. If you could shed some light on that, I feel I could begin consider these things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granted, I don't understand in entirety how a soul could 'change' after death. I understand the concept of what Aristotle is trying to communicate in that if an ancestor or descendant brings shame to a person or family the soul, if once happy, could not stay happy. If that makes sense... I understand the concept, but I don't understand the 'how' exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wish we had discussed this in class. I think it is definitely something worth talking about and it is an interesting topic. However, I need to gather my thoughts on the subject at this point. I'm still not sure of my own opinion on the topic.

    ReplyDelete